Michelin House
The Conran Shop
 
 
The conversion of an art-deco classic
Sir Terence Conran and YRM brought Michelin House life back to by extending the building and reinstating its distinctive original features.
Photography by Ray Phillips and Paul Raeside
bibendum-ray-phillips-8.jpg
In 1987 we extended and converted a Grade II-listed former tyre depot on Fulham Road, Michelin House.

The mixed-use redevelopment strategy, with its combination of office space, retail and restaurant, was unusual for the time but the opening of the building in its new guise inaugurated the transformation of a former backwater into the thriving retail centre of Brompton Cross.
bibendum-ray-phillips-7.jpg
We sought to celebrate the historic art deco building, which was designed by François Espinasse and built as Michelin’s London HQ in 1911, by complimenting the existing architectural features with contemporary items.

The biggest challenge was to recreate as many of the building’s original features as possible. Many of the stained glass windows and glass cupolas had been were removed for safety during the Second World War had been lost so original drawings, photos and posters were used to design replicas.

Today, the building remains home to The Conran Shop’s flagship outlet store and also houses the Bibendum Claude Bosi Restaurant on the first floor.
bibendum-ray-phillips-2.jpgbibendum-ray-phillips-2.jpg
The well-known Michelin Man has been the beloved face of the Michelin brand since 1898 but the tubby white mascot's name is actually Bibendum.
 
Fun fact
bibendum-ray-phillips-6.jpg
Similar projects